Working with the Dictionary¶
The Dictionary allows you to search, view, create, edit, delete, and publish dictionary entries.
To open the Dictionary, click the corresponding folder in the navigation tree on the left side in the Explorer. The Dictionary opens in a new browser tab.
Open the dictionary via the folder tree on the left of the Explorer
Select a dictionary entry. Its full description, a list of attached documents and a list of diagrams referencing that entry will be displayed.
Display a dictionary entry
To add, delete or publish a dictionary entry, you need the corresponding access rights. Workspace administrators can grant users publish, write or delete rights for the Dictionary. Please contact an administrator and ask them for the corresponding rights if you cannot access the option you need. As an administrator, you will have to grant yourself publishing rights because they are not activated by default. You can learn how to grant dictionary access rights in the chapter Managing access rights.
Finding out where a dictionary entry is used¶
To find out where a specific dictionary entry is referenced in your process landscape, select the entry and click Show usages. A dialog opens and displays the type and name of the referencing elements, as well as the names of the referencing diagrams. Clicking Load next allows you to view links to the referencing elements to analyze the whole chain of references:
Switching the language¶
If there are multiple languages activated for your workspace, it is possible to switch between them by clicking on the language symbol.
Dictionary entries that have not been translated into the currently selected language will be displayed in their default language and marked with a country flag.
You can find specific entries by using the full-text search.
- Type the word(s) you are looking for into the search field.
- Hit Enter on your keyboard. The search results will be listed. The order indicates the entries’ relevance regarding the search. For example, an entry with your search terms in the title will rank higher than one with the terms only in the description.
Browse the Dictionary as you are accustomed to in the Explorer
The activity feed¶
Similar to the activity feed in the Signavio Explorer, the dictionary feed allows you to manage revisions.
In the dictionary feed, you can manage revisions of dictionary entries
The revision feed opens automatically once you select a dictionary entry. When selecting a revision in the feed, you can trigger the following activities:
Will restore your entry to a previous version. Note that this does not delete revisions, but allows you to switch between them.
Will make this revision available in the Collaboration Hub. By default, the newest revision is automatically published upon creation.
Will revoke the revision’s publication in Collaboration Hub.
The buttons to publish and unpublish revisions will only be active in categories, whose Publishing Mode has been set to Manual. Under Defining custom categories for dictionary entries you find more information.
Managing dictionary entries¶
Creating new dictionary entries¶
To create a new dictionary entry, proceed as follows:
- Click New in the top toolbar. The New Entry dialog will open.
- In the New Entry dialog box, make the following configuration:
Parameter Description Category A number of possible attributes can be defined for a dictionary entry. Start with selecting a category for the entry, as the category may affect the custom attributes that can be defined for the entry. Read more about the configuration of dictionary categories Defining custom categories for dictionary entries. Language Select the desired language in the dropdown menu. Attribute values of dictionary entries can be defined in multiple languages. Please make sure that the title of the entry is defined in at least one language. You can link dictionary entries by their name by beginning to type the title of the entry that is supposed to be linked and choosing it from the auto-completion drop-down menu. This is useful if a dictionary entry contains other dictionary entries in its title. For example, the dictionary entry Prepare loan application for check by risk manager can reference loan application and risk manager as further entries. Readers - in especially Collaboration Hub users - can now easily navigate to these entries via the established references. Title Enter the name of the dictionary entry (manadatory). Description Enter a short description. You can format this description, as you already know it from common writing programs or the Editor. Relevant documents To attach documents, edit the attribute Attached documents, as described later in this chapter.
- Click Create to save the dictionary entry.
Editing dictionary entries¶
To edit an existing dictionary entry, follow these steps:
- Choose the dictionary entry you want to edit and click Edit. The edit dialog for dictionary entries appears.
- Now you can edit the dictionary entry.
- Click Save.
If the category of the dictionary term you are trying to edit is set to automatically update when making changes, the diagram elements that refer to this entry will be updated automatically. This will create new versions of the diagram. If there are many diagrams affected, it may take the Process Manager up to 30 seconds to save your changes. For more information see: Creating a new category.
Deleting dictionary entries¶
To delete an exisitng dictionary entry, proceed as follows:
- Select the dictionary entry you want to delete.
- Click the Delete button in the top toolbar. A confirmation dialog will tell you about the diagrams that will be affected.
- Click Yes to confirm deletion. If you don’t want to delete the entry after all, click No.
You can reference external documents for a dictionary entry while creating or editing it.
- Select a dictionary entry and then click Edit. The Edit entry dialog box opens.
- Scroll to the attribute Relevant documents and select Add a new document. The dialog Link files/ pictures opens.
- Select a file from your Signavio team directory. Alternatively, you can upload a new file/picture from your local file storage.
- Click Add. The selected file is added to the dictionary entry.
Please take the notes on referencing documents into account.
Publishing dictionary entries¶
If a dictionary entry is set to manual publishing mode and has been altered without being republished, an appropriate warning notice will appear, when the dictionary entry is used in the Editor.
If this is the case, make sure that the current dictionary entry is also published when publishing the diagram.
To publish a dictionary entry, proceed as follows:
- First select the entry you want to publish.
- Open the activity feed at the bottom by clicking Expand.
- Click the desired revision of the dictionary entry in the activity feed. An information dialog box opens.
- Click Publish. The dictionary entry is now published in Collaboration Hub.