Working with folders and diagrams¶
Folders allow you to organize and structure your workspace, even if you have a large number of diagrams.
Diagrams placed in Shared documents can be viewed and edited by all users of a workspace. Workspace administrators can enable the My documents folder which is private. Other users can’t view or edit them. In the The ‘Shared documents’ and ‘My documents’ folders section, you can learn more about how to work with these folders.
Notes on working with multiple users and workspaces can be found in the Managing users and access rights section.
The folder structure¶
The main workspace folder is Shared documents The My documents folder can additionally be enabled by a workspace admin.
Within these folders, you can create subfolders to organize your diagrams.
Select a folder in the folder structure to see its content
Clicking the arrow next to the folder/s name or on folder/s name itself will collapse or extend the folder. This way, you can quickly switch between folders and still keep track, even if you have an extensive folder structure.
Expand or collapse a folder by clicking the arrow in front of its name
If the name of a folder is cut off due to the width of the folder column, the full name will appear when hovering over it with your mouse. You can also extend the folder column by dragging its border line to the right:
Extend the folder structure column
Creating a new folder¶
To create a new folder, proceed as follows:
- If you want to create a subfolder, first navigate to the folder in which you want to locate the new folder.
- In the menu bar, click New > Folder. A dialog pops up, in which you can enter the folder name.
- Specify the folder name and then click OK. The new folder is now visible in the folder structure.
Renaming a folder or diagram¶
- Open the directory containing the folder or diagram you want to rename and select it. The name and the description are displayed in the lower panel of the Explorer.
- In the menu bar, click Edit > Change name/description. The corresponding dialog box opens.
- You can now edit the name and description.
- Optionally, enter a new description.
- To save your settings, click Change name/description.
Moving folders and diagrams¶
- Select the folder or diagram you want to move to a different location.
- In the menu bar, click Edit > Move. The corresponding dialog box opens.
- Now select the new folder.
- Click Move to complete the moving operation. The view of the folder will then be updated.
- Finally, click Move. The folder or diagram is moved to the selected location.
You can only copy diagrams and groups of diagrams, not entire folders.
Select the diagram you want to copy. To copy several diagrams at once, hold the Ctrl key while selecting them. Or, draw a selection frame around the diagrams.
In the menu bar, click Edit and then Copy. The Copy dialog opens.
Select which folder you’d like to place the copy in.
Optionally, you can select one of the following options by activating the corresponding checkbox:
- Copy linked models, too Please note that BPMN call activities are not copied.
- Copy all revisions of the diagram
For system performance reasons, only one option can be selected.
- Click Copy. The copied file is then located in the selected target folder.
Removing folders or diagrams¶
Select the folder or diagram to be removed in the main area of the Explorer. To select multiple folders, keep Ctrl pressed while selecting, or draw a selection frame around them.
In the menu bar, click Edit > Delete. A confirmation dialog appears.
Click Yes to delete the selected object.
The selected objects are moved only in the recycle bin, from which you can restore objects if necessary. Objects will be permanently deleted after you empty the recycle bin.
To delete objects permanently, select the Trash folder in the folder navigation. All objects in the recycle bin are displayed.
Select the objects you want to delete permanently.
In the menu bar, click Remove. A confirmation dialog appears.
Confirm by clicking Yes. The selected items are permanently deleted.
Restoring diagrams and folders¶
Diagrams and folders that have been deleted are moved to Trash folder. If you do not explicitly remove them from there, they can be restored.
To restore a diagram or folder from the Trash folder, proceed as follows:
Go to the Trash folder. It can be found in the folder tree on the left.
Select the files you want to restore.
Click Restore in the menu bar.