Managing access rights¶
Signavio offers you the ability to assign different access rights to your diagrams as well as dictionary entries for users and user groups. To manage permissions to the folders and files other than the Shared documents folder you must be a member of the Admininistrators group.
Folders and models inherit their permissions from the parent folders. Assuming you have started with the typical configuration containing a Shared documents folder, all modelers have access to all folders and individual models by default. Initially, all modelers (not to be confused with Collaboration Hub readers) are able to read, write, delete or publish in all folders and models that have been created in the Shared documents folder with the exception of the My documents folder. By default, any models or folders created in a user’s My documents are set as ‘private’, this means they are not readable by any other user on the system.
The following section describes how to define access rights to diagrams and dictionary entries. It is also possible to manage access rights to specific feature sets. This enables you to give each modeler group access to the exact feature sets they require to perform their tasks. Read more about this feature at Managing access rights to feature sets.
Defining access rights¶
Access rights are assigned additively in Signavio Process Manager. This means that if you define access rights to a folder, the users will have access to all of the subfolders and contained diagrams.
If you grant diagram access to a user who has no access to the containing folder, only the diagram path will be shown to this user. He has no access to other diagrams in this folder.
Administrators can grant users the rights to publish, edit or delete diagrams in the Shared Documents folder. If this option is not available, contact your administrator. Please keep in mind that the right to publish is disabled also for administrators by default. If necessary, enable this right for yourself.
To define access rights, proceed as follows:
Click Setup, then Manage users & access rights in the top drop-down menu of the Signavio Explorer. The user management dialog box opens.
Go to the Access rights tab. The tree structure on the left side contains all diagrams and folders in the “Shared documents”-folder and in the dictionary.
Select the element you want to define access rights for:
- Choose a user or a user group you want to give access to the selected diagram or folder.
If a folder is selected, all its ‘child elements’,e.g. all diagrams in the corresponding folder, will inherit the access right defined.
Choose the access rights to be granted to the user or user group:
- Hub (H): Allows the user to view published content in Collaboration Hub.
- Read (R): Allows the user to view diagrams in the simulation tool, the revision comparison tool, the commenting view, and Collaboration Hub.
- Write (W): Allows the user to edit and save content in the Editor/Dictionary.
- Delete (D): Allows the user to delete and move content.
- Publish (P): Allows the user to publish diagrams in Collaboration Hub.
Please keep in mind that the commenting feature in Collaboration Hub is a read access, since users who have been invited via the function Invite anyone for feedback can only add comments to a diagram, but are not allowed to edit it.
Finally click Add. The access rights that the user or user group include will appear in the access rights list.
Revoking the publication of a diagram typically revokes the publication of referenced dictionary entries that are not referenced in any other published diagram. Consequently, you need to have publishing permissions for the corresponding dictionary categories, if you want to revoke the publication of a diagram that references dictionary entries. This is not the case if the corresponding dictionary categories are configured to require a manual publishing of dictionary entries.
Removing access rights¶
To remove access rights, proceed as follows:
- Click Setup, then Manage users & access rights in the top drop-down menu of the Signavio Explorer. The user management dialog opens.
- Go to the Access rights tab. The tree structure on the left side contains all diagrams and folders in the “Shared documents”-folder and in the dictionary.
- Select the desired folder or diagram an access right shall be removed from. A list appears on the right side with the users and the corresponding access rights.
- Click Remove. If the Remove button is not visible, navigate to the parent folder, for which the specific access right has been granted, by clicking on its name in the Inherited from column and remove it from there.
- Confirm the action by clicking Yes in the dialog box.